Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Fewmets!

Mike the Eyeguy, of the Huntsville Eyeguys, tagged me for some literary reflection.

Here are they:

1. One book that changed your life: A Wind in the Door, Madeleine L’Engle. She got to me early in life with a beautiful story and kept me reading when I may have quit. This book demonstrated to me early that Christian stories can be full of imagination, that imagination heightens faith instead of threatening it. Honorable Mention: Ecclesiastes.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once: The Alchemist, Paulo Coehlo, a mysterious, joyful book, the sort I'd like to write. Honorable Mention: A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.

3. One book that you’d want on a desert island: John.

4. One book that made you laugh: The Innocents Abroad, Mark Twain. ("Our friends, the Bermudians." Brilliant.)

5. One book that made you cry: To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee. This book could satisfy six of these criteria, but I’m trying to be a little interesting.

6. One book you wish you had written: The Magician’s Nephew, C.S. Lewis. The scene in which Aslan creates Narnia with song is one of my most precious and astounding literary memories. I try to write well and with convincing imagination, but that scene humbles me forever. Honorable Mention: Gilead, Marilynne Robinson, a sutble, heavy, lovely, Christian book with a rich voice.

7. One book that you wish had never been written: I can think of none, although I can think of many I don't like.

8. Books you’re currently reading: Understanding Elder Law, L. Hunt Rush. God’s Politics, Jim Wallis. Goodnight Gorilla.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read: Moby Dick, Herman Melville. I’ve started it three or four times, but it turns to work faster that I can fight distractions. I'm not a complete man without it, so I may have to strap down now that I get summers off.

Now, I tag only my co-contributors, if they will. Then stop the madness.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike the Eyeguy said...

You're a good sport.

Madeleine L’Engle and Ecclesiastes are favorites around our house as well. I've been meaning to check out The Alchemist, now I have further cause.

3:42 PM  
Blogger JRB said...

Yep. This is the life, professor, unless your department dumps another grad-level course on your plate mid-semester. Then, it might affect your capacity for blogging.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home