Monday, May 21, 2007

The Worst

I loves me some Jimmy C, but I don't think his "worst in history" comment is entirely helpful. Despite the fact that, when taken in context I agree with him. The current administration has made us more hated around the world than any other. Unfortuantely that's not really something one President says about another.

President Carter has some pretty good cred amongst the religious in the US, but saying something like "The Bush Administration is the worst in history" (which isn't what he said but that is what his quote will surely become) burns a lot of bridges. When something as extreme as saying the current President is the worst in history is attributed to you it is very easy to be written off as a kook or a nut. President Carter is neither. He will, however, certainly be labeled as such by the conservative media in the coming days.

Maybe this will all blow over. Maybe I am wrong about this. Maybe the conservatives will actually quote the former President in context. Probably not, seeing as how CNN is already going with the sensationalistic headline. No, it seems likely that our best ex-President is about to be written off as slightly crazy.

6 Comments:

Blogger Edward Carson said...

At the end of his (Bush) term, he will be in my top 5 along with Jimmy.

I too like me some Jimmy.

2:33 PM  
Blogger JRB said...

You are right about the propriety of the statement, but he is probably right about the substance. I can think of no other who has done more damage.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Kile and Em said...

Eddie, I don't think I have mentioned it before but it's great to hear from you. How's Janette? Do you hear from Kevin N at all? Are you planning on being at homecoming this year?

President Carter's administration was fantastically ineffective however I don't think it was particularly damaging. The Bush administration can rightly claim some successes but it has been disastrous for our global image.

I would gladly take another Carter administration over 4 more years of Bush.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Edward Carson said...

KT,

Things are great. I am busy with research and writing, and teaching a bunch of great students with large egos. Janette is doing well. She is an administrator at the University of Houston. I have not spoken to Kevin since 2001. I thought I heard that he remarried -- not sure. I am really bad with the Harding homecoming thing. I will say yes....I will be there, but I know it is probably a lie. Your kid looks great. We just have two cats -- fun fun.

More Carter than Bush -- you are a good man.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Kile and Em said...

My boy is most certainly a handsome one. He doesn't look anything like me but he is certainly handsome.

I haven't heard from Kevin either, at least not since he was back at Harding with the Marriage and Family Therapy program. The re-marriage is news to me. I hope he is doing well and happy.

No worries about the homecoming thing. I haven't been back for several years and honestly I am just going this year to hang out with JRB and his family.

BTW, I love reading your blog. Good stuff, always.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Edward Carson said...

KT,

I will let you know on this blog if I make it to HU. Tell the wife hello. if she remembers me.

It is god to hear that you like my blog. Speaking of, since you and JRB are lawyers and legal scholars, maybe you can answer a church & state question posted on my blog about defining god & religion.

Keep up your support for Carter.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home