Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Stars Fell on Alabama

My wife and I just returned from the watch party, mock caucus/primaries and panel discussion at JSL. We are such nerds that this was only our second time to hire a babysitter. Thanks, my loving bride, for indulging a political date with a bunch of law students.

We also voted at 8:30 this morning with our daughters, for Barack Obama. Obama beats HRC in Alabama with about 56% of the Democratic vote with about three times as many votes as HRC in Montgomery. We've done our part.

JSL comes through, too. With about 100 students voting in the mock primaries, Obama and Huckabee won, matching the state outcome.

We're waiting on California. After reading and studying, I think Obama can claim victory and can win if he is within 10% of the popular vote in California and is within 200 delegates nationally at the end of the night. He does better when he has a chance to invest great time and effort in specific states, and he will have that opportunity in Texas, Ohio and Pennsylvania in the coming weeks.

One last anecdote from the day. I called another Fella, the BoP, who lives in Birmingham after work today and asked, "Is there still time to influence your vote?" He said, "Sure, what you got for me?" "Barack Obama!" "Well, it'll probably do more good to vote for him against Hillary than it would to vote for Huckabee." "Oh, yeah," said I, "Huckabee's going to run Alabama, and Obama needs your help, especially to beat Clinton." "You got it, brother! Just don't tell my parents I voted Democrat." I hope he doesn't watch the returns too closely. You're welcome, Senator.

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home