Friday, August 01, 2008

Update from the AL-02

Sprouting up all over the district, "I'm a Bright Republican." One of the commenters says it's "dirty politics," and the GOP candidate is "irked." I think it's pretty clever.

I'm also interested in the phenomenon of a candidate running on his own personality and background against a candidate who seems to place most of his capital in party identification. Many Southerners like to say that they "vote for the man, not the party," and if that holds true in the -02, those voters probably will vote for the candidate running in his own skin.

Here's the sign.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kile and Em said...

Can it be both incredibly clever and dirty politics at the same. If I were driving by at 55 mph and saw the sign I imagine that I would think that the candidate was a Republican, was named Bright Republican or possibly that Ima was a bright Republican. But since everyone knows that there is no such thing as a bright Republican there probably wouldn't be too much confusion created by my third possibility.

That's right folks, I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your waiters and waitresses and remember there is a two drink minimum.

3:29 PM  
Blogger JRB said...

I don't see how it's "dirty." I do see how you're hilarious. Candidates always make claims of picking off voters from the other side, and this is a similar appeal.

If the opponent is worth his salt, he'll respond with something like "I (Jay) LOVE DEMOCRATS!" With the "Love" bloated with cupid hearts or something. It would help with the populist, romantic vote.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home