Tuesday, October 18, 2005

I was electrocuted once. It was horrible.

I was not reared with any great major league baseball allegiance, but I became a Cubs fan relatively late in life. I root for the Cubs, yet I still do not pine like those sad hearts that came before me and through whom I adopted my vicarious loyalty. My fondest baseball moment was watching Randy Johnson pitch to Sammy Sosa on a sparkling day at Wrigley with Kile and Elrod. I don't even remember who won, because the magic of the place and the memory is so thick. As a Vanderbilt fan, though, I know that magic and moral victories start to wear thin after a few seasons.

I wonder, then, how do real Cubs fan handle this White Sox business? Is it possible to pull for the South Siders and share a little civic good will? Does potentially playing the Cardinals make it better or worse on your tortured souls? Can you pull for the White Sox for a little Windy City pride, or do your Big Shoulders just sag under more manifestations of curse?

6 Comments:

Blogger Mark Elrod said...

FYI: If I remember correctly, the Cubs lost 2-1 in the 12th after the Diamondbacks tied it in the 9th. Up until that point, the Cubs were 0-7 against Johnson, who got a no-decision. I think the go-ahead run was walked in with the bases loaded. Up until that point, it was a pretty good day.

I'm going to have to swallow my Northside emotions and pull for the Sox. Do you realize that a baseball team from Chicago has THROWN a World Series (1919) more recently that a team from Chicago was WON a World Series (1917)?

On the other hand, maybe we should ask the Pale Hose if they really want all of Cubbiedom pulling for them. It hasn't helped our team that much.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Mick Wright said...

It doesn't bother me, a life-long Cubbie, that the White Sox are doing well. I couldn't care less about the White Sox, win or lose, but I do hope the Astros come back. This has been a great series to watch from a distance.

12:46 AM  
Blogger Kile and Em said...

In as much as I have ever been a real baseball fan I have been a Cubs fan. But the first MLB game I ever went to was a White Sox game. So I have a soft spot for the South Siders in my baseball heart.

Of course my baseball heart is dormant for most of the year and only starts beating in September and October. I wonder if my only casual love of America's game has anything to do with me getting cut from the high school baseball team about a week before tryouts were even over. I can still remember the Coach Stewart coming up to me one afternoon and very bluntly telling me that I was "wasting my time" trying to make the baseball team.

The Red Sox had the Curse of the Bambino, the Cubs still have the Billygoat Curse. What curse will the White Sox be vanquishing when they sweep the Astros out of the series. Did Shoeless Joe curse them? Did America curse them for throwing a World Series? I mean, what else besides a curse could explain an 88 year gap between Series wins.

Trivia Question: Has there ever been a decade in which the NY Yankees did not win a World Series.

Trivia Question #2: Which team has more World Series Championships; the Cubs or the White Sox.

3:34 PM  
Blogger JRB said...

I'm pulling for the White Sox and was before the Series started and they went on this tear. These last two games have been extraordinarily exciting and tense. Minute Maid last night should have been roaring in the 8th and 9th, yet the Houston fans could hardly breath with anxiety. High drama.

I fell asleep in the middle of the 13th! I made it that far before succumbing, only to be awoken by an infomercial. I knew the White Sox must have won, because Houston's cheering masses surely would have woken me up.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Kile and Em said...

The White Sox do like the drama don't they. They seem to have penchant for home runs in the final inning.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Mark Elrod said...

JRB and Kile: Shoot me an e-mail when you get a chance. I can't find your e-mail ads!

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home