Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Boyhood

Today, I pulled my black 2001 Volkswagen Jetta VR6 up to a stop light on Atlanta Highway. I was the first car at the line. Then a low, bright orange Asian car pulled alongside me, an indistinguishable brand beneath the customized, plastic body, the glaring paint and the decals. Its muffler emitted that familiar aggressive buzz, and it inched forward, little by little. The driver noticed when I glanced over to read his endorsements, or wannabe endorsements, and he inched up a little more. I, in my blue tie and professional haircut, with my windows down, listening to a loud summer mixtape from my friend in the oil and gas business, took my foot off the brake and brought my clutch just to the edge of engaging. I did not inch up at all. I brought up the RPM a notch and waited as the orange drifter rolled half an inch closer to the line.

The light changed, and I poured it on, fast and furious. He tried to catch up but could not. Despite his suggestive inching, he may not have expected a real contest. I brought my VR6 to the red line in first gear, then second, and he never had a chance. I then eased off and started to brake at 60 miles per hour in second gear. It was a 35 MPH zone. We both slowed down to respect the law, and as he passed me, nodded with pleasant respect, gratitude and bit of admiration, I think. I gave him a casual wave and drove onto lunch at a meat-and-three with another young lawyer* then onto the courthouse to be a grown up.

I love the summertime.


*Named Baron, for you blogophiles.

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent.

German engineering trounces "horsepower stickers" any day of the week!

3:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sadly, though, we opted for the 6-speed Tiptronic transmission in our Jetta...

My wife said it would be a good idea in traffic and so on, and it sounded like a fine idea at the time, but after reading this...man, I miss my clutch...

3:55 PM  
Blogger JRB said...

Never disregard the beauty of a clutch. I have been driving my car for six and half years now and have put all of its 88,000 miles on it, and there's still nothing I'd rather be driving. Getting a little love from the Fast and Furious crowd occasionally is just laniappe.

(By the way, Baron C. sends his regards.)

8:40 PM  
Blogger Edward Carson said...

I recently had that experience in my cool solid black 5 speed 2007 Saturn Coup. I wish it was a sporty BMW, but I am cool with my nice sporty low payments.

Oh, by the way, I used to enjoy the high school days of crusing down Atlanta hwy on Friday nights.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Mike the Eyeguy said...

From one stick man to another: Attaboy.

My 5-speed, 1.8L Audi A4 Quattro with its extra poundage would be dead meat to your light-on-its-feet, Jetta VR6 from 0-60. But come on up and let's hit some curves on Monte Sano. That's where the Quattro will reign supreme.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Kile and Em said...

How on earth do you only have 88,000 miles on your car after 6.5 years? We have put nearly 90,000 on our Camry (yes, it's as boring to drive as it looks) in about half that time.

That's good car stewardship on your behalf.

I am beggin Em that our next car be a stick shift. I don't think she is going to go for it though.

1:32 PM  
Blogger dutro said...

Just bought our 16 year old his first car, a BMW 325iS, with a five speed manual (and 160 mph on the speedometer). It's fourteen years old, with 145,000 miles on it, but looks great and still a blast to drive. I'll see if he'll let you take it for a spin when you're here for homecoming.

We really enjoyed breakfast with you last week, and getting to see the family and your new digs. You seem to be very content, indeed, with your station in life, as you said a few posts back. I'm happy for you.

9:00 AM  
Blogger dutro said...

...and sorry if my daughter got yours started on the cheerleader thang. It'll wear off eventually.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Edward Carson said...

KT,

If you live in a city like Houston, sticks can be bad when faced with a lot of traffic; I love my stick; however, my wife will not drive it here.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That must be hard on your marriage.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Edward Carson said...

Greg,

You would think so, but we bought her a car too.

9:02 AM  
Blogger JRB said...

The low mileage is due to blessedly short commutes for most of my life. Also, the Jetta got a break when the first baby arrived, and the Beetle became my daily car for 16 months until we dove into mini-van world.

Nobody nods in appreciation at the Sienna, but it's a workhorse, too.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home