Saturday, August 20, 2005

Bison(s) For Sale

This is my letter in its entirety to the President, Executive Vice President, Assistant Director of the American Studies Institute and the Director of the Alumni Office at Harding University today. Please keep HU and its leaders in prayer and approach them peacefully and in love as we confront this ugly business:

Dr. Burks, Dr. Carr, Col. Reely,

I hope you're well today. I have a grave concern and wanted to raise it with you.

I learned this week that Harding's ASI series this year is featuring Ann Coulter, and I am distressed. She is not a Christian and is not a loving person. Her comments are mean spirited and vile. I fear that Harding is selling its soul for donor-dollars motivated more by political activism than the cause of the Kingdom. I have disagreed increasingly with the political and public face of the university recently, yet I love Harding and have been willing to overlook political stances with which I disagree. Paying Coulter to come and blare in the Benson with her crass, mean, vapid bluster is too much. She does not promote the cause of Christ or loving reconciliation to the world. She defies the gospel, and I do not think she's coming to extol righteousness or godly politics. Her reputation precedes her, despite any benign message she may deliver from the Benson stage.

I appreciate your devotion to the school and value our friendship. I write today to confide in you my astonished disappointment. I hope that Harding’s working relationship with the Young America Foundation and other political donors will not outweigh the threat of alienating thousands of faithful alumni. My comments may ring hollow in that I have not contributed much money since I graduated, but I have assured Development that we would begin contributing next year when our student loans are paid off. I cannot make that promise now. In fact, unless or until the Administration and ASI repent of these action and change tack, I regret that we cannot, in good conscience, support an institution that takes a public stance so counter to love, faith and reconciliation in the spirit of Christ.

You have made decisions to ban certain other Christian speakers and entertainers out of concern for offending more conservative constituents in the Church of Christ. I hope and pray that you now will reconsider Coulter’s invitation, even if Harding must buy out her contract, for the same reasons. Coulter’s message, writing and activism are not consistent with the cause of Christ and Harding’s mission and work. I pray earnestly that Harding and ASI are not adopting her hate-filled approach to punditry and political speech. She is in a category with Michael Moore, Al Franken and Howard Stern and does not contribute constructively to a valuable political conversation. Please rescind her invitation and change this course of action.

I hope that we can discuss this candidly. I do not want to become alienated from HU or those, like you, who serve her selflessly. I love and admire the faculty and my friends who lead me always closer to the Lord and have prepared me for service in the Kingdom. This decision to invite Coulter, however, is thwarting their - and your - efforts to give glory to God and transform Harding into a tool for peace and loving power.

Please let me know what you think about these issues. I hope I am not the only alum from whom you're hearing on this issue. I assure you, I have heard from dozens in the last few days who share my heartbroken disappointment.

May God bless us all.

11 Comments:

Blogger Kile and Em said...

Well put. I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

From a source deep within the bowels of HU, I've discovered that if Daddy B gets any dissent from those he considers underlings, it only makes him "dig in his heels." Apparently, to make a difference, my source suggested going over his head, to the Board, so that THEY know how a number of us feel. If DB gets word from them, he'll have no choice....

9:45 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

THanks for letting us know, GKB. And thanks for all that you have done on this whole debacle. May God give us wisdom as we engage the powers at HU.

9:59 AM  
Blogger JRB said...

An update that I'll share in greater detail soon. I just received a very gracious and graceful call from my friend in the development office whom I addressed Friday. He reports that our comments and response to the Administration and ASI are yielding fruit, at least in a continuing discussion about Coulter's credentials and her place on Harding's stage. I pray that continued affirmative, loving and peaceful confrontations on this issue will redeem the moment, by God.

10:05 AM  
Blogger JRB said...

Greg -
Thanks for your voice on this issue and creating some momentum for a bit of repentance. I would ask you though to remain respectful of those we're criticizing. "Daddy B" written in public weakens your voice as we address very serious issues. These are serious people making serious decisions and getting criticism at every turn. You and I both would discard name calling if it were aimed at us, but loving, forthright, cordial and professional commentary may just carry the day.

Shalom.

JRB

12:09 PM  
Blogger Cole said...

Eric, nice letter. May it yield the fruit we want.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Cole,
Thanks for chiming in. It has been far too long since we have seen one another. I do, however, want to give the proper credit where credit is due. My friend and brother, Jeff (jrb) wrote the letter. He is a one of my closest friends from HU and a "contributor" to this blog.
Grace, erm

5:38 AM  
Blogger JRB said...

Cole -

Since you recruite about half the people on this blog to attend Harding University, this is, after all, your fault.

Thanks a lot.

12:40 PM  
Blogger JRB said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:57 AM  
Blogger JRB said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:57 AM  
Blogger JRB said...

Messing up my own comments...

UPDATE:

Today, we received the "Post.Harding" email update from the alumni department. I am happy to report that, despite many, many headlines and news, the email this week does not include a mention of the ASI lecture series. Buried at the bottom are dates for the first two speakers. Now, this may just be an editorial decision or any oversight, but I hold out hope that the silence indicates an internal reconsideration of Coulter's invitation.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home