Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Highest Science Studying the Greatest Good

Slate.com is running a good series of discussions and debates about the state of higher education these days. I particularly like this expression of liberal arts and their necessity.

Maybe it was by providence or accident, but I feel like Harding gave us a very good helping of classical liberal arts training, and I'm grateful. Of course, that may be because I majored in political science and ministry, minored in English and took statistics and piano on the side. (Even so, I'm lousy at higher math and quantitative work.)

Readers few, did any of your other schools live up to this ideal? Should they have?

1 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

After my time at HU, I feel a little unprepared to discuss politics and political and economic theory. My training in that area has come more from my cohorts in crime than through the academic institution itself. Of course, that is just my experience. I could be the exception, not the rule.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home