Friday, February 23, 2007

March Madness

Last night, Faulkner University clinched a share of its conference regular-season championship and will be the No. 1 seed in the conference tournament. The Eagles also secure a berth in the NAIA national championship tournament. Faulkner hasn't won a national championship since 2001, so we're due.


We play some pretty good small-college ball down here.

Go Eagles.

UPDATE! Our law school also has a team competing for the very first time in the American Bar Association's National Moot Court competition in St. Louis. Yesterday we beat Ave Maria. Tonight, the Jones School of Law Moot Court team defeated the University of Florida. Read that again, my friends.

Faulkner beats Florida.


Congratulations, students. You're making history for our little school. Next up is Arizona, and you can take them.

Their coach is my friend, Prof. Garman, a graduate of * ahem * Vanderbilt Law School. He sends this report:

As of this round in the regional with 35 teams, the top ranked teams (all with 2-0 records) are

1. Georgia
2. Notre Dame
3. Wash U. in St. Louis
4. Baylor
5. St. Mary's
6. Arizona
7. Faulkner
8. Georgia
9. St. Mary's
10. Baylor
11. Arizona (this is the team we will play in the morning)
12. Minnesota
13. Wash U. in St. Louis
14. Loyola (not sure which one!)
15. Tulane

High cotton.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Edward Carson said...

Is it anything like Rhodes?

9:51 PM  
Blogger JRB said...

I can safely say that Faulkner has almost nothing in common with Rhodes. Rhodes doesn't even have a law school.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Edward Carson said...

Jeff,

Carson's ambaguity can be historical at times - this is another reason why I am not a lawyer. I meant to say Rhodes Basketball Athletic center at Harding. Hey, I almost went to Rhodes College.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

EC, I love it that you are atlking about yourself int he 3rd person. How is H-town?

JRB, big stuff. Faulkner bridging the athletic/acadmeic divide! Next, I want to see a double header: Faulkner Law vs. Florida Law followed by Faulkner basketball vs. Florida basketball!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Edward Carson said...

Hey Eric,

Houston is cool. I spend too much time in my car. I have learned to buy books on CD or set my radio to NPR or sports talk. It is not Little Rock, for which I really miss.

As for my 3rd person comment, I really try not to give into narcissism too often.

10:29 AM  
Blogger JRB said...

Hilarious. Our gym is more like Rhodes than the Ganus. I never had the pleasure of watching a HU game in the Fieldhouse; it still was an intramural sweat-box when we graduated. I regret it. Our gym is a classic box, bleachers and seats on two sides of the floor with bright windows at one end of the court. It'll serve, but our undergraduate, on-campus population is too small to make it deafening. When we play our down-the-block rival, Auburn Montgomery, however, the rafters will shake. Almost complete is our new student multiplex, a huge addition to the gym which will have intramural courts, raquet ball, indoor track, weight training and a new student-center eating place.

High times on Atlanta Highway.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Edward Carson said...

Because I was living in the area long after you left, Jeff, I saw a few games. Think ACC here. The Ark. Times stated that seeing a bison game at Rhodes is a top 10 thing to do in the state of Arkansas. Faulkner has been very busy with construction over the years. I hope to visit the campus while visiting my folks, soon.

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home