Monday, January 14, 2008

ASI Love

In recent years, I have crticized ASI plenty, especially some questionable, partisan speakers selected to take the stage at one of Harding's most prominent events. When something very good happens, then, I feel obliged to celebrate it publically. Here is the email I sent today:

Dr. Burks, Dr. Carr, Col. Reely:

You and the leadership in the American Studies Institute deserve commendation and gratitude for inviting Fred Gray as a Distinguished Lecturer this Spring.

As a prominent, public face of the University, ASI bears a great responsibility and duty on behalf of Harding’s great community, including alumni, the Church of Christ and the Kingdom we claim. Harding is called to serve and teach with excellence and courage and by inviting inquiry into the great questions and problems of Men and Nations. Mr. Gray’s refreshing invitation to address ASI advances our response to that calling.

Mr. Gray’s work and ministry has borne mighty fruit in our community and country. His devotion to the vulnerable and oppressed glorifies God, and his work before persecution and corruption reflects Christ’s mission declared in Luke 4. His work transcends the politics typical of recent ASI speakers, and he should fulfill ASI’s stated mission even more because of it. Even more, he continues to contribute to Christian education with close association, support and leadership at our School of Law, and we take pride and inspiration from him as we grow and deepen our work among the poor and vulnerable in Montgomery.

Thank you for inviting Mr. Gray to speak. Not since I was president of ASI’s student program have I been more excited about the organization. I am very proud of Harding today and look forward as ASI seeks more speakers who so embody our mission.

May God lead us all,
JRB


If you blasted Harding and its administration for Ann Coulter and Sean Hannity, I urge you to offer some encouragement for a remarkable step in the right direction.

4 Comments:

Blogger S.C. Denney said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:37 PM  
Blogger S.C. Denney said...

I have to say I am relatively excited about Red Gray coming to speak, in comparison to all the other right-wing, free-market blokes that come around.

I think that some of the more political astute students are turned off about this year's lineup because of David Burton coming to town. I see it as an opportunity to vent -- publicly -- via newspaper and blog.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Edward Carson said...

I like it with exception to David Barton. To be honest here, I have really given up on ASI.

5:29 PM  
Blogger JRB said...

To be sure, my compliment and commendation is not intended to bless the slate, only Mr. Gray's invitation. I send forth this encouragement because I always have hope and because I wrote a similar missive in screeching protest of Coulter's invitation. Turn about is fair play.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home