Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Stirring

Happy New Election Year!

I support, endorse and laud Barack Obama. As I have written here before, I believe that he is gifted and right for the job, with sound policies, remarkable talent, charisma, language, personal narrative and faith to make an exceptional President in very tricky times.

I have a friend who dated lots and lots of girls in his day, and he declared that each one always was "different" than the others, but none of the relationships worked out, despite the girls' typical swooning over my swank brother. I admonished him one day as he despaired the loss of another hot girlfriend and pointed out to him that all of his girls were cut from the very same exceptionally cute, moderately smart, usually funny, always in a Greek house, white, Southern, WASPish socialite stock, so the outcome usually wasn't a surprise to anyone else, because deep down inside he needed something actually different and compelling on a level apart from the classic crush. Finally, he brought home a Filipino Catholic accountant with a Southern drawl, and they are getting married next month. Barack Obama is the sexy Filipino Catholic accountant with a Southern drawl that the country needs right now.

Here are my predictions for the Iowa caucauses tomorrow:

Democrats:
1. Obama
2. Clinton
3. Edwards

Republicans:
1. Romney
2. Huckabee
3. McCain

Here is what I hope to see tomorrow, the best case outcome:

Democrats:
1. Obama
2. Edwards
3. Clinton

Republicans:
1. McCain
2. Huckabee
3. Romney

Release the hounds! Let the games begin! Play ball!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike the Eyeguy said...

Finally, the answer to the age-old question, "How do political science majors get off?"

Answer: A hotly-contested presidential election.

9:41 AM  
Blogger JRB said...

I gotta tell you, I woke up this morning with a rush of exhilaration. I spent much of breakfast time defining and explaining the following terms and concepts to the almost-3-year-old: politics, government, parties, Democrats, Republicans, President, election and voting. She remembers voting with us in the rain in November, and she said that, yes, she does know our country is called America. Then, she asked to be excused to go dress up like a princess ballerina.

All is well, and the election is afoot. Be still my heart.

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home