Monday, August 22, 2005

Running out of Ire

Pax Fellaship

I hate being angry. It's not a comfortable nor familiar feeling for me. Perhaps I am too laid back or perhaps I am afraid of confrontation. Mostly though I don't like being because anger usually causes me to say or do something rash.

I am running out of ire for "AnnCoulterspeakingatHarding-gate". But while my ire was up I said something rash.

In a response over at Mike Cope's blog I mentioned that Ann Coulter speaking at Harding might be a good thing. Perhaps she might be converted to Christianity while at Harding. After all Harding was where my faith became real rather than simply what I did to meet my parents expectations. So perhaps Harding might work its magic on the blonde haired right winger as well.

One of the many reasons that I have become increasingly ecumenical in my faith/dogma/doctrine (whatever you want to call it) is because of the extreme arrogance I encountered in my time within my denomination. I became disenchantment with the calls to convert the Baptists or Methodists or Catholics or what have you. I began to wonder what made them wrong and us right. Besides even if they were wrong and we were right didn't Grace cover all of our errors as long as we had faith.

So after some soul searching I started leaning the other way. I wanted to be more open to people who had different views on scripture than I do. I wanted to stop proclaiming whether or not someone was saved based on how well their ideas matched up with mine. I wanted to fully believe in the Grace of Christ.

For a time I think I succeeded in my goal. Normally I embrace, with open arms, Christians of whatever brand. I have, however, found one glaring omission in my newfound eccumenism.

I find myself calling down hellfire and brimstone on those Christians who are more conservative/less progressive (whatever you want to call it) than myself. If you happen to be old school, traditional, or what I perceive as legalistic then I will pray for your souls because you are surely in danger of the wrath of the Almighty.

Suffice it say that this is not exactly what I was going for. I had gone from one arrogance to another.

While I find many of Ms. Coulter's statements to be un-Christilike I bet many would say the same thing about me. I have no idea of the relationship that Ann has with God. I have no idea if she needs to be saved or not. She claims to be a Christian and so it is probably arrogant of me to claim she is not.

If God's grace can cover my multitude of sins then who am I to say that they don't do the same for Ann Coulter.

So I apologize for my statement. It was rude and arrogant of me. I do not believe that rudeness or arrogance were qualities that Christ exemplified so I am going to try to repent of them. All the while I will know that God's grace is sufficient to cover me when I slide back.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Thanks for that confession, Kile. I appreciate you and the way you struggle at self-reflection and then attempt to put that reflection to work to change your life. May God grant us all that same strength (and openness to others).

4:04 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Kile, I know that I have recommended this book to the Fellas before, but let me again recommend Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality by Don Miller. It is a great read that I think could be really helpful and formative.

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home