Thursday, December 01, 2005

It must be a mistake!

Let's get one thing straight. I didn't want to like it. I was dragged to the little art house theater to see it. But lo and behold I think it may be the best movie I have seen this year. What movie am I talking about? "Syrianna", "Walk the Line", "Good Night and Good Luck." No, unfortunately I am talking about "Pride and Prejudice."

After seeing the film I walked out with my wife and drove home almost completely silent. It took me a good 20 minutes to finally verbalize my thoughts on the film. I said something along the lines of "I think I need to see that again because my initial reaction can't be right. Because I think that may be the best movie I have seen in a long time."

I don't want to talk about it much further. I am afraid I might gush about Darcy and Elizabeth and that sort of nonsense and the last remaining shred of my masculinity will be torn away.

I will only say this. Go see this movie. It is in wide release now so you should be able to find it about anywhere. I hope I am wrong about it. I don't know if I can put "Pride and Prejudice" on my top ten favorite movies list.

p.s. I haven't seen "Good Night and Good Luck" yet so I do not intend any comparison between these two movies. "Syrianna" is very self important and in my opinion fails to personalize some of the main characers. George Clooney gives a great performance. "Walk the Line" has some brilliant performances but it a little formulaic. It is worth all of your $9.00 (that's how much a movie ticket costs in Denver), however it is not the best thing I have seen this year like I hoped it would be. (I am a big Johnny Cash fan)

5 Comments:

Blogger dutro said...

I am a huge Johnny Cash fan, too, and am also a musician. The two don't normally go together, but I make an exception in his case. He couldn't keep a beat, and could barely carry a tune, but he was fantastic. My favorite Johnny Cash song of all time is really a Kristofferson tune: Sunday Mornin' Coming Down. If you were raised in a small town in the south in the 60's, you get lost in it.

Haven't seen Pride and Prejudice, but I heard the other day that Jane Austen was 16 when she wrote it. Is that true?

8:24 AM  
Blogger JRB said...

Don, I think you should rush right out a read it. It'll make you more attractive to women.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Kile and Em said...

My relationship with Cash's music started as an adversarial relationship. I listened to him because my parents listened to him and I didn't like it. But way back in my high school musical awakening the Man in Black covered a Soundgarden song and the relationship was changed. I immediately became and admirer and soon I became an all out fan.

Man of my favorite Cash tunes are his covers of others. Right now I would say that "Time of the Preacher" which was a Willie Nelson song is my favorite.

I don't know much about Jane Austen but I have read her books. If she was only 16 then she was a very funny and bitingly witty 16 year old girl.

Just so I don't get to far off point. GO SEE THE MOVIE. Then come back and tell me that it was not very good and explain why. I need to get this off my favorite movies list in order to keep my man card.

5:12 PM  
Blogger dutro said...

Jeff, women mistake me for George Clooney now. Old, blind women.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Mark Elrod said...

Kile: I'm going to withold judgement until I see P&P (and I will on your recommendation) but for right now, I am very concerned about your manhood.

Walk the Line is a good film, but you do need to see GN&GL.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home