Friday, February 03, 2006

JRB's Tagee Submission

We’ve been tagged by Elrod, which is something I didn’t know could be done until this week. Here’s my installment, and I hope the others will follow. After recess, I'm going to ask jduckbaker if she'll play MASH with me too, then if y'all are finished with kickball, I say we neglect our algebra homework and lounge at Kile's mom's house. She usually hooks us up right with Hot Pockets and Sunny D after school.

Four jobs I’ve had:

1. Sweeping the Hangar Floor for my dad at the Golden Triangle Regional Airport: He’s the only employer who ever fired me, three times. Good sweepers are hard to find.
2. U.S. Space Camp: See the post below about these high times.
3. Extern at the Nashville/Davidson Co. Metro Public Defender’s Office: I only got paid with credits, but I did get to see a Puerto Rican man banished, I say banished, by a court of law from Davidson County, Tennnessee. Oh, Verona Walls!
4. Lawyer: One of my favorite things about my job is that I am privy to some truly remarkable, bizarre and novel-worthy stories and personalities. There’s a reason Mississippi produces so much great art, literature and music: we’re crazy as bessie-bugs.

Four movies I could watch over and over:

1. So I Married an Axe Murderer: It’s really more of a sociological experience.
2. Braveheart: “There’s a wee lass, she’s sitting in the heather! Let’s get physical! And spend the night together!”
3. Ghostbusters: “Here’s something the other tour guides won’t tell you. . . “
4. Casablanca: “Hey! Pisan! You better watch out or I’ll send your spaghetti-bending-butt back to Milan!”

Four books I could read over and over:

1. To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee: My wife was very relieved when we had a girl because she just couldn’t come to grips with naming our first-born Atticus. Now, Scout, on the other hand. . .
2. A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens: I lobbied for Lucie, too, but she wouldn’t go for it. . .
3. A Wind in the Door, Madeleine L’Engle: My primary imaginary literary home is in an orchard over the stone wall.
4. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain: Maybe my primary imaginary literary home is on a river raft. Huck Finn would beat the stuffing out of Charles Wallace, so I’m going with the raft.

Four places I’ve lived:

1. DeQueen, Arkansas: Just up the hill from the stop light is the Dairy DeQueen. No kidding. I saw Return of the Jedi for the first time at DeQueen’s drive-in from the back of a flat-bed farm truck. Good times.
2. Nashville, Tennessee: Not so much like DeQueen, but it’s alright.
3. Huntsville, Alabama: See post below about those deep, space roots in north Alabama.
4. Jackson, Mississippi: Under our previous mayor, Jackson was “The Best of the New South.” Now, under our current, gun-slinging, photo-opin’, larger than life mayor, we are “The City of Grace and Benevolence.” Can I get a witness?

Four T.V. shows I watch:

1. Law & Order: the original, CI and SVU, whatever is on at a particular moment, 24 hours a day.
2. Local On the 8's: Guess what? In Mississippi today its warm and wet.
3. Hardball with Chris Matthews: I hope someone at Harding’s ASI asks Zell Miller about his moon-bat dueling rant after the GOP convention. Brilliant.
4. SEC Game of the Week Presented by Jefferson Pilot Sports: The best (and often only) way to catch my beloved Commodores on the gridiron.

Four websites I visit daily:
1. Espn.com
2. Beliefnet.com
3. tennessean.com
4. clarionledger.com

Four places I've been on vacation:

1. Aruba and Curacao.
2. Sterling, Scotland.
3. Lucca, Italy.
4. Arles, France.

Four favorite foods:

1. Coffee,
2. Peanut Butter,
3. Bagels,
4. And Cheese Completes the Meal.

Four places I’d rather be right now:

1. Fido, Nashville, Tennessee: I spent most of my surplus student loan money on Fido coffee every night, for three years. Thanks, Bongo Java, for my career.
2. Home: The baby is girl is under the weather, and I’d prefer to be with her and her momma.
3. On a golf course anywhere with the Fellas.
4. Here with my baby’s momma.

Four people I’m tagging:

The buck stops here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark Elrod said...

You people who take the high ground on this tagging thing make me sick.

Aren't you the same guy who gave my name to those Amway distributors?

3:29 PM  
Blogger JRB said...

You are one of only like four people in the world who could have moved me to respond. It's a high compliment, not the high road, professor. For sake of consistency, though, I did need to object because I've resisted and resisted and resisted this sort of business from others by email in the past.

Speaking of AmWay, I was in a little singing and dancing group in high school, and we got booked to perform at an Amway convention my senior year. It was the largest crowd before whom we'd played, over 1500 folks, and you would have thought we were the freakin' Beatles. We couldn't hear ourselves singing for their yelling, cheering, clapping and loud, loud excitment. Bizarre what soap sales can do to a person's soul.

No, I was the guy who sent you the free Book of Mormon. Enjoy!

3:37 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I'm only playing because I have had to hear about the love and respect these guys have for you since our HU days. Of course, I was locked away in the darkest carverns of the science building, so our paths, unfortunately, never crossed in the classroom.

I am trying to learn well from your disciples, though.

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home