Tuesday, January 15, 2008

If I were Eric. . .

. . . not only would I be ultra-sexy and very fast, I would be able to vote in the Michigan primary today.

The MI Democrats lost their franchise with the national party when they moved the primary up, so there are no delegates at stake. Only HRC and uncommitted are on the ballot; the Dems can’t even write in another candidate.

Thus, for whom should Michigander Dems vote in the Republican primary if the goal is to elect Obama?

Daily Kos would have you vote for Mitt, just to be irritating. The idea is that by keeping Mitt alive in the primaries, their field continues to be conflicted and a mess. The conventional wisdom says that Mitt is the easiest opponent for the Dems, although I am not sure I agree, so by supporting Mitt in his do-or-die quasi-home state, the Dems get a two for one: Confound the GOP race a little bit more and support the Dems’ favored candidate.

(To my beloved conservative, Republican, Romney-supporing friends and colleagues, I disclaim the foregoing as an attempt at humor, with no ill intent toward you or your candidate. In the even that the humor doesn't strike you as funny, please remember that I laughed and laughed and laughed at John Edwards's "soft and creamy" hands. Thanks.)

The other option, of course, although less fun, is to vote for the candidate who would be the best President if the general election were to produce a Republican President. For my, money, that would be McCain, for whom I voted once already, in the 2000 Tennessee primary, against GWB, after GWB already had secured the nomination. That was my protest vote, and a fat lot of good it did.

So, if I were Eric, I think my better angels would win out, and I’d be voting for McCain today in the GOP primary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home